*** This car to be offered at
The 1966 Corvair Yenko Stinger offered here is Yenko SN YS086, the very same car Jim Spencer drove to the 1966 SCCA Central Division “D” Sports Racing Championship. Whereas most Stingers were modified for road use, this car was specifically prepared for competition for Spencer, who was also the exclusive U.S. distributor of the newly formed Yenko Sports Cars. This historically significant competition Stinger is accompanied by its original Yenko Dealership documents, original SCCA race logbooks and a tech manual with specification updates.
- 1966 Yenko Stinger Corvair, SCCA Road Racer, Yenko Serial No. YS 086.
- Have original Yenko dealership work orders and invoices documenting preparation of this car.
- Have original SCCA race logbooks and tech manual with spec updates by Donna Mae Mimms dated 11/25/67.
- Tagged as number 86 of original 100 identical fleet-ordered 1966 Corvair Corsa coupes modified by Yenko to “Stinger specs” prior to January 1966 deadline as required for homologation in SCCA Class “D” Production.
- One of the first Stingers prepped and sold new by Yenko as an all-out road racer. Most of the remaining 100 cars were street versions.
- Won SCCA Central Division Class “D” Sports Racing in 1966. Jim Spencer, driver, first owner, and exclusive U.S. distributor of Yenko Sports Cars (SPAN-INC).
- Still being raced in 1988 at Waterford Hills by Ron McConkey when I purchased it.
Concours shown after 13 year restoration ordeal with the following results in “Race Class”:
2002 Concourse at Ault Park, Cincinnati, OH, Award of Distinction
2002 Discovery Concours, Dayton, OH, Best of Class
2002 Glenmoor Gathering, Canton, OH, First Place
2003 Chevy/Vettefest, Chicago, IL, Gold Award (individual points) & Top Gun Award/Best in Show – competition prep (Judges)
2003 Willistead Classic, Windsor, Ont., Class Winner Award
2004 Concours at Ault Park, Cincinnati, OH, First Place
2004 Corsa National Convention, Lexington, KY, Peoples Choice
2004 Chevy/Vettefest, Chicago, IL, Gold Award
2005 Lexington Concours, Lexington, KY, First Place
2005 Discovery Concours, Dayton, OH, Best of Class
2006 Yenko 40th Anniversary Reunion, Twinsburg, OH, Peoples Choice
2006 Meadow Brook Concours, Rochester, MI, Lion Award
2007 Amelia Island Concours, Jacksonville, FL, Rare Corvairs Display